Sunday, October 28, 2012

HIPPA Methodology


                  My research methodology covers my research process and what I plan to do with my remaining time during this research process. The topics I cover are finding my sources, what I want to communicate, my plan, and the gap.

    Finding my sources:                      In my research what I immediately wanted to research was the HIPPA law. So approaching this topic I went on the UCF library page and searched “HIPPA” in articles and data bases. To narrow my search I made sure all of the sources were peer reviewed, and to make sure they were credible and reliable. So when I started gathering data, trying to make a conversation with all of the data, my first thought was communicating this information to society, so they were aware of their rights. The problem I had with this particular issue is that no one from society was doing research on HIPPA or asking for the information. So when I furthered my research to search for a new issue on a topic that intrigued others I came across one important issue, nurses are very confused on HIPPA and its laws and regulations. There have been question and answer forums where nurses with higher degrees and who have greater knowledge of the law communicate questions to nurses who are confused. I also noticed that some nurses tell the negative parts of HIPPA in their articles, but there are solutions to these issues in other articles.

What I want to communicate:          When I finally came to the decision of my audience being nurses, I had to formulate a way to give information on the HIPPA law to them. My goal of my research and paper is to create a document in which I gather a chunk of information from HIPPA, from issues such as child care, rights, and special situations that HIPPA can affect. To start my original claim I started researching many different forms, and situations the law can affect. I found articles on the rights parents have on their children, and what rights a child has in an abusive situation. I then found research on how HIPPA affects research, and how you can go about finding the research you need while still abiding with HIPPA.

My Plan:                                My plan on piecing the conversation together is to write in a genre in which nurses find credible and reliable. I will use headers such as HIPPA and its effects on child abuse, and other topics of that nature. I will do my best to find graphs, and cite the credible sources from professors and researchers who have researched this topic. My goal to actually giving this information to the nurses is to post my findings on a nurse’s blog, to start a conversation and give nurses the information they have been searching for.

                The Gap:                            All in all, my method was finding a variety of sources on the HIPPA law and trying to find the need for new research, trying to figure out a way of filling in the gap. The gaps come in place when nurses do not have a giant piece of research covering various topics of HIPPA which is what I plan to do. I gathered numerous data on many aspects of HIPPA from credible sources, researched the stakeholders, and I am formulating a method of giving nurses my findings in a credible way.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Works Cited

"Policy Statement--Child Abuse, Confidentiality, And The Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act." Pediatrics 125.1 (2010): 197-201. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

 

Dougherty, M. "Health Care Advocate. Creating A Safe, Secure Health Care Environment: Understanding HIPPA & Exploring Its Implications." AWHONN Lifelines 8.1 (2004): 26-28. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

 

Giacalone, RP, and GG Cacciatore. "HIPPA And Its Impact On Pharmacy Practice." American Journal Of Health-System Pharmacy 60.5 (2003): 433-445. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

 

Conn, J. "HIPPA, 10 Years After." Modern Healthcare 36.31 (2006): 26-28. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 26 Sept. 2012.

 

Maradiegue, A. "From Research To Policy In Pediatric Nursing. The Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act And Adolescents." Pediatric Nursing 28.4 (2002): 417-420. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 28 Sept. 2012.

 

Frimpong, JA, and PA Rivers. "Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act: Blessing Or Curse?." Journal Of Health Care Finance 33.1 (2006): 31-39. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 28 Sept. 2012.

 

Banks, DL. "The Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act: Does It Live Up To The Promise?." Journal Of Medical Systems 30.1 (2006): 45-50. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

 

Wipke-Tevis, DD, and MA Pickett. "Impact Of The Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act On Participant Recruitment And Retention." Western Journal Of Nursing Research 30.1 (2008): 39-53. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

 

Bova, C, D Drexler, and S Sullivan-Bolyai. "Reframing The Influence Of The Health Insurance Portability And Accountability Act On Research." Chest 141.3 (2012): 782-786. CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

 

"MA: Hospital Employee Violates HIPPA: Suspension And Termination Upheld By Court. (Hospital Law Decisions Of Note)." Hospital Laws Regan Report 51.12 (2011): CINAHL Plus with Full Text. Web. 27 Sept. 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment